The Global Somatics Process:
Definition and Description
“Global Somatics is an initiation into the intimate mystery of the Natural Body.”
Suzanne River, founder of the Global Somatics Process
The Global Somatics Process empowers individuals to activate channels between the physical body and energy field for self-realization, authentic healing and conscious evolution. Suzanne River developed this process by weaving many somatic modalities with the art/discipline of relationship
The Global Somatics Process encourages the happiness and wholeness of the Natural Body. A happy body is a fully alive body that expresses a fully alive unique person. With a happy body, you can allow your personality to express your essential self.
The term “Natural Body” describes the perfect structure and functioning of the physical body and subtle energy field. The Natural Body expresses intelligence through vibration, breath, movement, sound and touch. This wisdom connects a person to her/his wholeness and participation in all of Nature.
The Natural Body is a dance between the systems of the physical body and the energy field that permeates and surrounds the body. This dance consists of developing patterns of movement that grow and transform from conception through death. These moving patterns reveal and create dynamics of perception which connect aspects of self- sensation and movement, energy, emotions, thoughts, beliefs, soul, spirit and one's unique purpose for being here on earth.
The Global Somatics Process nurtures embodiment- the life process of actively seeking and openly allowing the body to reveal its consciousness and to reconnect with the energy field. Complete embodiment is a life quest and yet as simple as loving and living fully here and now. Through Global Somatics process, harmony and balance may be restored in the physical bodymind. This allows space for and connection to the healing and transformative wholeness that moves within the tissues of the bodymind.
The Global Somatics Process is an approach to the nature of bodymind that includes repatterning through resonance, movement education and intentional touch and sound. This ancient and pioneering transformational process celebrates its roots in Dance, Body-Mind Centering® (BMC) Somatic Movement Education, Authentic Movement, Movement Therapy, Contact Improvisation, Craniosacral Therapy, Energy Medicine, Voice, The Arts and Ceremony.
Training of a Global Somatics Practitioner
A Global Somatics Practitioner fulfills an intensive training of 1452 hours. The body of a Global Somatics practitioner is a magnificent perceptual instrument capable of conscious resonance and communication from aspects of the energy field and the body's cells and systems (fluids, fat, fascia, senses, bones, organs, ligaments, muscles, glands and nerves). A Global Somatics Practitioner is capable of the continuum of movement from vibration through cellular initiation to full body dancing in space and offers this potential for you.
Description of a Global Somatics session or class?
The Global Somatics Process is both educational and therapeutic. The practitioner engages with you in an embodied relationship. Through mutual exploration, s/he offers you personalized attention and creates the exact movement and touch explorations to facilitate your embodiment process. Every Global Somatics Practitioner is unique and many offer expertise in other somatic modalities.
An Ancient and Pioneering Somatic Approach
Global Somatics is an approach to the nature of body-mind that is both basic and complex. It offers essential elements for the process of restoring harmony and balance and thus creating space for transformation and healing.
- Global Somatics observes and participates in the world of body's systems. Global Somatics facilitates embodiment of the fluids, fascia, fat, bones, organs, muscles, ligaments, glands, nerves and energy systems. The body of a Global Somatics practitioner is a magnificent perceptual instrument capable of conscious resonance and transformation from every cell and system of the body and its field. Other somatic modalities specialize in one or two body systems
- Global Somatics is the experiential study of the evolutionary developmental patterns that underlie movement. The body of a Global Somatics practitioner embodies the continuum of movement from cellular initiation to the whole body dancing in space and time. The practitioner holds the embodied image of the potential range of movement available to the client. Other somatic modalities choose to focus on either internal movement or external movement.
- Global Somaticscelebrates the connection between Energy and Matter. Students meet the consciousness within visible matter and the matter within invisible space. Practitioners are skilled at sensing vibrational aspects of both the physical body and six subtle bodies. While most modern modalities side towards somatic work or energy work, Global Somatics bridges both expressions of life.
- Global Somatics is both an educational and therapeutic process. A Global Somatics class or session is a mutual exploration. Practitioners create embodied relationships with students/clients. From this relationship, the student/client draws forth the appropriate information he/she desires for their process. The GS practitioner teaches through her/his own embodiment. She/he invites the student/client to develop a relationship with their body wisdom through touch, movement, and sound.
- Global Somatics is personalized medicine. GS is efficient and empowering because the practitioner affirms the student /client in their connection to Wholeness and follows them in their own transformative process. The GS practitioner creates the exact protocols of touch, movement sound, ceremony and art that reconnect the unique person to Nature.
- Global Somatics is holistic and engages all aspects of being human. Global Somatics can be seen as a Soul quest through the physical body and personality. Global Somatics facilitates attunement to the whole person because the whole person is engaged during the training process. All avenues of perception are activated -- physical, emotional, mental and spiritual. The Physical Body is the medium for all these aspects. Primary attention is given to the body-self -- vibrating, breathing, moving, touching and sounding. The language of the Emotional Body is honored through emotional fluency, clearing, sensation, expression and processing. A GS student expresses the Mental Body through engaging the whole brain in both analytical and intuitive study. Students learn the language of anatomy/physiology, practice Intention and articulate subjective somatic experience. Imagination is expressed through the whole body. The Spirit-that-moves-in-all-things is acknowledged in multiple manifestations -- deep silence and awe, reverence for the unknown and un-nameable, celebration of shared essence, transformational dancing and singing, community caring and respect for diversity.